Saturday, December 10, 2011

Paranoia Doesn't Mean I'm Not Right

Before I checked myself into the psych hospital at the tail edges of my little meltdown/nervous breakdown, I let a few people know so they wouldn't worry. Among the people I told was a man who I report to for my favorite part-time job, the man who talked me into this job. His email reply was short, but supportive.

I emailed him when I got out, mentioning how I'd not done well on the job before I went in and wondering what he wanted to do about that. He usually emails me or calls me a lot during a week just to keep me up to date and to keep in touch.

I've had one text message, basically the same as the one he sent before I went in. And that's it. According to another member of the team, this man who supported me seems to have the same phobia that another good friend of mine (same age cohort as the man with the job): a fear that people with "mental illness" are never as stable or dependable as "normal, healthy" people and as such should be avoided as employees. At least, that's my fear and my current perception of this situation. 

And this situation and these reactions, ladies, gentlemen, and others, are why I choose to make this blog as anonymous as is reasonable and why I have not told my more stable job about it. I'm paranoid, but not a complete idiot. Just a partial one with a lazy streak.

3 comments:

  1. How long have you waited to hear back from this guy? And who, above him, can you follow up with? (Is this the job I recommended you pass on? Just curious.) Shag that ignorant bastard down!
    (Oh wait, that's a baseball term, not a British one. Apply accordingly.)

    Glad to see you back to posting, in all places. It's helpful, don't you think? To set these feelings into words and then receive feedback?
    Julie
    (Thanks for letting me know you were up and running again. I still don't understand the distinction though. I probably never will.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've waited for a week and a half. I worry about pushing too hard and alienating him. Yes, it's that job.

    What distinction is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's still SO much ignorance about depression and mental illness etc. Saw it all the time at my old job.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think.