Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Fair

What do you mean by fair?


I am struggling with anger and resentment over an issue dealing with fairness. "Equal" does not mean the same thing as "fair," except sometimes. Same with "equitable." By handing out equal work or prizes to two or more people, your actions may be unfair to at least one of them.


I have a childish desire for fairness in all things, even though I have an adult knowledge that life is neither fair nor unfair, it simply is. These two ages of me are often waging fierce battle.


I feel that because life contains both the fair and the unfair, I must strive to be as fair as possible, because I have the capacity and the discernment for fairness. I think this is one aspect that sentience grants to those of us who have it (which can include humans --- but not all of them --- parrots, cats, dogs, horses, crows, elephants, and rocks). It is our responsibility to use this aspect and to use it ... well ... fairly.


Still, I want to scuff my sneakers and pout that "It's. Not. Fair!"


[In Welsh, llan fair means church (or churchyard) of Mary. In Welsh, Mair means Mary. The form here mutates the M into a V sound, which Welsh spells as F. So Mary is fair is kind of like saying Mary is mary. But only if you have a weird linguistic derailed train of thought.]

1 comment:

  1. Finding out where words come from fascinates me. As well as how they have changed from their origins. Thanks for the info.

    The topic of fairness is a tricky one. Although it shouldn't be ... it must get that way due to our own individual perceptions.
    I want everything to be fair and equal, and ya know, generally RIGHT!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think.