Monday, May 2, 2011

The balance between gravity and flight


Tonight, I and several friends spent time on Facebook accomplishing a group project and it spawned a great deal of activity; double-, triple-, and quadruple-checking; and laughter. It has also left me with the jittery feelings that come when I let loose the dogs of hypomania, to completely destroy a phrase. The feeling is the same as when I was in college and didn't know about mania and mood swings and crashes as anything other than the regular feelings I experienced and assumed that many others experienced as well. 

In my 20s, I always encouraged and followed that emotional arrow as it flew up and up, past the birds, then the clouds, sometimes clear into the lower Earth orbit. The arrow would halt there, for a moment, balanced almost perfectly between both up and down forces, and that moment of balance was better than alcohol, better than pot, better than sex. However, gravity always won and the emotional arrow would plummet down, faster and faster until it achieved terminal velocity and crashed into the solid Earth, leaving me exhausted, in a vicious mood, confused, and often ill. 

When my first therapist first talked to me about controlling my highs in order to control the crashes, I was ferociously against it. I was convinced I would lose my personality, be some dull drone. I knew I would lose my creativity and my whimsy and spontaneity. It was another 3 years or so before I gave in and, tired of the crashes, began to recognize and control the arrow as it flew upward. I was relieved beyond words to see that it didn't kill my creativity or those parts of my personality that I valued so much. In fact, I think it made those facets better by virtue of my achieving some control. Later, when we decided to go further and add a medication layer of control, I wasn't so dead set against that. I'd grown accustomed to and grateful for control and the loss of those crashes.

In the past few years, I've also learned that I do have a cycling mood disorder and that the medication doesn't remove the cycling, it only dampens it. The rest is still up to me. I didn't have any awareness of those cycles until a friend who had gotten to know me very well and who has a keen perception pointed out to me that I fell into these phases where I would feel as if rabid hamsters were running on wheels in my mind and I couldn't control them. During those times, I would become dramatic and sure that the very worst thing that could happen would happen. These phases happened, he pointed out, every three weeks. Nothing I could lay to female hormones. 

Now that I've become aware of those three-week events, I've been able to perceive and control them. Over the  years I've come to appreciate control. So do my OCD and my PTSD and my hypervigilance and my regular anxiety ....


4 comments:

  1. One of the things I have enjoyed about becoming part of the BettyVerse is the knowledge of similar behaviours amongst Betties, by which I mean, meany of us, for so long, just thought we were alone in our nuttiness. Now we know that many of the things that were once perceived as "wrong" with us, are merely just another lovely layer of our askew-ness. We are not broken, simply unique along with others.

    Now that you can see these things as well, and are better able to control them, instead of them controling you, the path to being "better" (remember that does NOT imply that you were "bad" before) is wide open and nicely paved.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. SHIT! I proofed that bastard SIX fucking times!

    "...MANY of us..." NOT meany

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to find that not letting yourself fly RIGHT up to the top, didn't stop you from still being creative etc. Good to know, in case I ever meet someone who's also worried about that [tucks away in mental file]. By extension perhaps the super lows can be controlled too? Hum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mabel, it's possible. For me, there are two "downs": one that is simply deep depression that has no connection to any highs; the other that is basically a "crash" that inevitably occurs after soaring too high. But I will take a look at controlling the first one, see if it is workable. Thank you for the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think.