Saturday, May 7, 2011

Variables and charts and math, oh my!


I keep track of my moods, and other stuff, in a spreadsheet. (Yes, I am a totally geek, and a nerd to boot.) Not only do I record numerical values (plus notes), but I created some line graph charts to show me in visual format what's happening.

Unfortunately, I cannot see anything useful in the graphs. Maybe the data really is random. Or maybe my lack of mathematical ability and understanding is the problem. (Maybe?!) I'll print it all out (on the printer I am so much in love with that I intend to marry) and take it to my psych and my therapist, see if they have anything useful to say.

I have been all over the map lately. Good days, bad days, days that are highly variable within themselves. Today I got up feeling detached, probably due to Mother's Day tomorrow. Then I read a very touching email that a friend wrote me and I cried and cried. Then I felt better. I hate to say it, but crying appears to be helpful to my moods.

Maybe I have so much hurt and fear inside I could never let out that I need to simply cry and cry and cry it all out to get better. Seems a lot like this trauma therapy. Put everything in its place in the past, cry your eyes out, feel better.

Luckily I already use high-powered eye drops. Sigh. Better put stock in Refresh eye drops!

Really, there is no more to say today. It's a variable day. And now I'm depressed. But I did feel better earlier.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I love the charts idea, a lot. Also, I have variable days mostly all the time. My graphs would have to be measured in hours, or maybe even minutes. Yes, good idea, see what the health professionals have to say about this.

    Lastly "...I did feel better earlier." That's a postive right there.
    Julie
    (who is NOT saying "toldja so" about that crying thing)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lines do seem to often follow along with each other, but I'm not sure it tells you things you don't already know through "qualitative data" (your blog.) That is, depressive moods go along with inactivity and anxiety, etc. ;-) I tried mapping my headaches like this once (along with sleep, food etc) and it looked 10x more ridiculous. Went back to the less structured but more reliable "I've noticed that when I..."

    Sending you atheist unprayers, and Betty vibes, and peace for Sunday. I hope it won't be too hard of a day. Take carez. Mabel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to note what happened on any given day, using the comment field. Maybe between that and the charts my docs will be able to help me. Previously I could never say what was going on when something else happened.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think.