Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Floating lightly, as if smoke on air, and peeing

Between feeling like a cat — just a breath away from a nap — and feeling as if I have no responsibilities when I'm here (which isn't exactly correct), I've been drifting from one thought to the next, none of those thoughts being particularly deep. That's fine, but half of my two-week vacation is gone and I haven't accomplished what I planned to do: go through the storage unit to sort more of my things out and to find things to send home. I do have a couple of hours here and there I could devote to it, but so far most of my hours are completely filled. It's totally weird. And I still haven't set a time for dinner with the neighbors.

My two deep thoughts are about my health. First: why am I so bloody tired? Needing to take one or more naps a day is not normal for me, and my first (always my first) thought is that I have cancer or some other wasting disease. Because dying now would simply round out the story of my life: 1, 2, 3, 4 — Dad, Jim, Mom, me. Hypochondriac? Maybe, but more likely it is just another part of hypervigilance and always expecting the worst so I'm prepared for it. And yet, as with Mom and last summer, I'm only prepared for the worst in respect to myself. I mean, I've been grieving since September 12th; I've only been sleeping all the time for the past two months or so. The napping and the grieving don't match up.

The other health concern is about my urine. If you have a problem with bodily TMI, better skip out now. Are they gone? Okay, now it's just us. The problem with my urine is that it's gone completely clear and it smells a bit odd. No pains in my kidneys, but this seems like something wrong. Is it my medication? Am I dying? Is it something else? I've called and left messages with my psychiatrist and my physical doctor (because the psych wasn't calling back). I left info about symptoms. That was earlier in the afternoon for them. It is now mid-evening back there ... I doubt they are calling me back today. Does this mean the symptoms are nothing to worry about or that no one has actually looked at or listened to their messages? A call back would have been nice. Kind of like a signal on one of the SETI radio telescopes. "Yes, we heard you. You are not alone."

Napping and peeing: important issues at the beginning of life and often at the end. Let's just hope it's also a problem in the middle of mine. Not like I'm paranoid.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting that you should jump right to life or death, I was thinking today about how, during stressful or anxious times in people's lives, they update their wills.
    Maybe we are both just very morbid.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us know what the doctor says. Hope all is well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well my only non-death suggestion is diabetes.
    http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=77909

    But do note that I just pasted a link from a site called WRONG DIAGNOSIS DOT COM. Ya. So like, you know how seriously to take that. But I thought you might like it better than cancer or death. !!???

    :-) But sometimes stress also reacts late. For example, people with Crohns can go through a stressful period and feel fine, and then a month later when things are fine, their body crashes.

    Good luck with the sorting and such. I guess it's just like back home, just set wee goals. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think.