Sunday, May 1, 2011

Running in place

I haven't been so good at keeping up with the myriad details of my everyday life. I doubt this is a surprise to anyone. Bills, picking up, cleaning, phone calls, record-keeping, even getting together with friends — all of this has been difficult if not impossible for me in the past months.

I've even found it difficult to keep up with my therapy homework. Three hours ago, I started my homework for tomorrow ... and then spent two hours on the phone with one of my best friends. Talking with my friend was terrific; we haven't talked in a few weeks. But now it's after 10 pm and I should finish things up and go to bed.

.... Who the hell am I kidding? I haven't gone to bed before 2:30 in months. Often I'm up until 4 am (Hey Julie! ::waves::). Unfortunately I don't spend my time doing anything useful in any way.

My sleep schedule became completely fucked up in 2007, after my cat died. In the aftermath of the death of my companion of over a decade, I realized how much more she was to me than simply one of my most-loved companions. She was also my security system. If I woke in the night —a not-unusual occurrence — I'd automatically look to her. If she was asleep, or simply looking back at me as if wondering why I weren't asleep as I should be, I could lay my head back on my pillow and drop off easily. But if she were looking about alertly, then I had to get up and walk the house. Once I thought I saw someone in the back yard and I called the police. Several other times it was deer in the back yard; it is quite disturbing to carefully pull a curtain aside to look out ... and see a long deer face looking back at you! I was definitely the more startled.

After my furry security system died, I routinely woke in a drenching sweat from dreams of gangs of intruders hunting me down in my home. The sleeping pills my doctor gave me made the nightmares worse, so I quit them and began staying up later and later. To occupy myself during the late hours, I built a highly detailed imaginary life and I whiled away the hours between 9 pm and 3 am with this life, with listening to Vonda Shepards "Maryland,"and with watching the moon wash across my bed and the floor in the next room. It was pleasant.

Now I have no place that is washed by the moon and my heart is once more broken, even worse than before. I don't currently have anything to look forward to in the morning, or in the moment after that, or the moment after that, so I stay up, surfing the same sites over and over, and running in place in the hope that the next moment doesn't come any sooner.

7 comments:

  1. You need a new cat. I know, you can't get one right this second and you are unsettled and your place is a mess and you worry about feeding yourself .... and and and. But I really think you should start visiting shelters soon. The other suggestions I will e-mail you about, but be forewarned, some of them will involve angels, just sayin'.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, shelter work would help. And when I can, I am getting two cats. I don't have room for the five cats owned by dear Witchy. :)

    And angel away, angel. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I love Vonda Shepard! I'll add that song to my current rotation, cause I know it less.

    Oh cats. They're the best. One of my headache drugs makes me sleepy which helps me go to bed earlier (ha!) but gives me very vivid dreams. Luckily they're mostly just weird.

    May you soon have kitties and better sleeps in your life. Good night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby, I am with Julie on this one. You need a new cat. And lots of cats need good homes.

    Here is my ass-vice, for what's its worth... have you read the book about adult ADD? It's called "You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?" Excellent book, you must read it - your library will have it or be able to order it for you.

    My second piece of ass-vice is to find a cause and surrender yourself to it as a volunteer. Find someone who needs your help. You may volunteer at a nursing home, reading to patients. Or at a hospital. Or animal shelter. Or soup kitchen. Sign up for the morning shift, and put yourself in the position so someone is counting on you to show up. Then you will have to go to sleep. Try sleepytime tea, a relaxing classic novel like Pride & Prejudice or something lovely and slow paced.

    My third, and most important piece of assvice, is to listen to Julie. She is wise.

    Wishing for good things to come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @BFB: I agree about needing a cat, and as soon as can afford to keep one I am totally getting 2. :) I will look for that book, also.

    I am completely surrendered to this EcoBot Challenge. I've been poor at the Facebook this last few months, but I have now been asked to run the strategy and visions segment of the Challenge and to jump in and run with the Big Dogs. All volunteer (it's educational-related). But yes, I need to do some work with those who really need me, like animals in a shelter. I keep saying it, and I keep putting it off. Feel free to hold me accountable. :)

    I love sleepytime tea! I'll get that.

    I do listen to Julie --- she won't let me not. You are wise to, my dear, and I look forward to getting to know you and your wisdom better as well. And the same with our friend Mabel. One thing that is helping me a lot is the friendships I'm developing, piece by piece. The more and the stronger connections I have, the better I feel in general, and the better I feel about myself, because how could all these smart, reasonable people like me if I were pondscum?

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol pondscum you goof

    I agree the BFB is wise, as well as the Julie, as well as you. I enjoy your comments all over the Bettyverse. You're a smartypants too, but I suspect you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, Mabel, how did you get to know me so well? :)

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think.