Monday, May 9, 2011

Therapy knocked me down and made me cry


Yeah, that therapy is a big ol' bully. Makes me cry. Makes me look at things that hurt me. Knocks me clear on my butt and leaves me sore and tired all the rest of the day. Sheesh.  Therapy is a mean muthuh.

What made me cry? Well, we talked about Mother's Day. I didn't get teary or even emotional yesterday. But I cried on Saturday because someone told me she was aware that this, my first one without Mom, would be extra hard and that she was thinking of me. No one else said anything to me, until they read the blog. Not my oldest friends. Not my mom's friends; not even her best friend who was supposed to adopt me. I felt ignored and that the people who say they care simply didn't think about me or felt it wasn't important. I felt even more alone and isolated than ever.

So when Karen-the-therapist and I began talking about it, I began crying. The more we talked about it and how I felt and why, the harder I cried. I even became inarticulate from time to time, I was crying so hard. It just wouldn't stop, all my feelings of loneliness and missing Mom and feeling that my friends don't think of me (whether they do or not, this is how I feel) came flooding out. 

I was a mess.

I read something in a blog comment today that really bothered me. Someone had written in about how isolated and hurting she felt, and how hard it was to see how well the blog author was doing after a year and the woman who wrote in felt she'd made no progress. 

One of the commenters was trying to be helpful and going on about how the only person you can count on is you, that only you can do this stuff, and you always have to do it alone. Except, I don't think the commenter is all alone. I think she has family. When you have backup, even if you are doing things yourself, you are not in isolation. It bothered me because I truly am doing things all alone and I'm not doing so well or quickly. It's harder than the commenter made it out to be. But I didn't want to be mean on the blog, even though I didn't think it was good advice to the woman who had written in.

So many of my buttons were pushed in therapy: loneliness, abandonment, fear of total isolation and friendlessness, anger that someone has diminished my experience. And therapy caused me to live through and describe each one, which hurt like hell.

That's how therapy beat me up, knocked me down, and made me cry.

Stole my lunch money too, but you have to pay for the privilege.

6 comments:

  1. I did not forget you. But I did drop that sock from yesterday, and now I can't find it. We'll start again tomorrow. You can have my lunch money instead.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Canada. One of my best friends' fathers lives in New York, and when 9-11 happened her boyfriend--and the relationship was still new, it was more sex than love at that point--was the only one to think to ask about him. Which she took more as a positive thing than a negative, because she was looking for signs as to whether this was a good guy to pursue. She was more focused on the message of: "Hey look at how much greater he was than you schmucks!" Than on "You guys are schmucks!"

    So. At least you hit the same average of 1 Unprompted Thoughtful Comment. !! :'-(

    But anyway. Aren't you the living proof that we have to depend on ourselves? Because you ARE getting by because of JUST YOU. You are getting therapy because you decided YOU needed it. YOU reached out for support from the Betties. Aren't you sort of living proof that in the end you gotta be your own best friend? You're just still learning to take it to the next step, the Oscar Wilde stage: To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance. ;-)

    It's like your fear of Alone in the Department Store. You don't like the idea, but that doesn't make it untrue. >:-( It's just that, you're right, most of us don't have to find out it's true.

    You're the intrepid explorer, reporting back saying: "Yep, guys. There really truly is jack ---- up here. And now I'm lonely as hell. Why did I get sent on this mission??" And we're all. "Thanks Sun! You are SO brave! You have confirmed this theory that we have long suspected! We must depend on ourselves." And then only one person remembers to send you an e-card for Explorer's Day, because we're very selfish. And you're all: "Being an Intrepid Explored SUCKS."

    But Joseph Campbell says that when you're alone, you're with all the world. And Sting sang that when he sent out his message of loneliness in a bottle, a hundred million more bottles washed up on his shore. Whatever you're doing out there, Intrepid Explorer, it's important. But I'm sorry it's kicking sand in your face. >>:-(

    xx oo

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Julie: I love you.

    @Mabel: I foresee loving you in the near future. ;) And yes, being an intrepid explorer sucks and I don't wanna do it ANY MORE! Only because i wanted to start my new med did I leave my damned apartment. And only because of going to get that new med did I pick up a couple of food items so I won't starve tomorrow. Being an intrepid explorer can mean skirting starvation and living too close to the edge. Many IE's die during their explorations. So, pleaase, SEND HELP! I don't plan on dying any time soon, but, really, this is the worst it has ever been. Without the suicidal thoughts (thank goodness!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sunshine, it's Betty Angel (Kat)

    First, thank you for inviting me into this private place. Second, while looking around (haven't read the back posts yet) I noticed it all looked so familiar! Third, blogspot ate my last post and I nearly cried, hopefully this one will makes it.

    As for your journey I commiserate. It sounds nearly identical to mine (though we all know that's impossible). All I can say is it IS lonely up here, but you (by which I mean WE) are not alone. It's just like exploring a new country. When you land there is nothing but countryside and this new land is definitely less populated so others are farther and fewer between. Glad to have found you, keep going and you will find others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, also about the commenter and comments about "Do it yourself' these comments are often my own 'buttons'. I get very angry and offended by people who will stand by reaping the benefits of something they are telling you that you don't need.

    Most people haven't a single clue what it is to be ACTUALLY alone. No family, friends, acquatences, lover, mate, kids, dogs, or whatever. To say you only need yourself is a LIE! It just is. I often find it is related to romantic relationships. Love yourself and someone else will love you. Most often said by people in romantic relationships. :-)

    Either way doing anything 'all by yourself' or 'pulling yourself up by your bootstrpas' or ' being your own best friend' or any other platitudes are just that... platitudes. In actuality humans need other humans. Period. And until you find those compatible humans to connect with you will be saddened by the lack (or loss) though you needn't be destroyed by it.

    This is where taking care of yourself comes into play. I suggest The Ten Tanks of Love by John Gray as an example of honesty when speaking about what people 'need' or 'need to do/be'. I can't vouch for the whole book and all the ideas but the ten tanks of love part of it really struck home with me and helped me see that these are NEEDS, not desires and also that there are ways to survive going without them without invalidating the fact that they are needs.

    Okay...enough ranting...

    I don't have any lunch money but I will share my lunch with you.. :-) Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Kat: How wonderful for you to express that these things ARE needs, not desires. It is true. It is also true that we can keep going without them, altho' it is much, much harder without them.

    Thanks for sharing your lunch. I'll share mind next time you need it.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think.