Saturday, April 30, 2011

A laundry list of sadness


I'm still feeling good, and waiting for the hammer to come down. (Sorry, Mable, I haven't read your link yet.) I know I have to change that way of thinking. There is also the quote that you can view the Universe as either friendly or hostile, and whichever one you view it as is what you get. Of course, the writer didn't mention neutral.  :)  I've felt it was hostile since I was very little.

I'm not sure if it's more useful for me to talk about my issues in the order that I'm doing them in therapy, or just as they come to my head. I'm OCD enough that I want order. I'm an Air sign, which means spontaneity. It's very confusing.

Okay, why I think the hammer will always come down and destroy my happiness. The facts:

I was molested by a cousin starting when I was 2; the first time it was him, age 5, and another cousin age 8. My mom and aunts found us in a closet and laughed it off as playing doctor, as if a 2-year-old had any choice in the matter. 

My cousin continued off and on until I was 11. His final act was to say he wouldn't bother me again until I was 17. Way to keep me in fear. That 3 year difference was always a huge power differential, and since the first, I was completely in his control, and knowing it was wrong and uncomfortable. My parents had told me, in front of him: do what he says. He knows more than you. I was to always do what anyone older than me said. Way to go with the protection, Mom and Dad.

He wasn't happy just touching me and stuff. He also had to terrorize me with terrible things that would happen to me. Monsters, when we were little. Psychopaths when we were older. I think my cousin was a sociopath.

My grandfather molested me once when I was 11 or 12. I was glad he died the next year.

I never told anyone about any of this until I went to therapy at 23. Then I eventually told my mom. She didn't take it well at first and it took her a year or so to be able to talk to me about it without making it kind of my fault for not telling her and Dad.

There's some less horrific stuff in between.

When I was 16, we moved 1100 miles away from everything I'd ever known. Nine months later my father died. He had a major heart attack while playing catch with my little brother in the backyard. Our neighbor had CPR instructions on a card and tried to do compressions. I'd had first aid two year previously and I did mouth-to-mouth. He died anyway.

Five years later, just before my mom remarried, to a guy I disliked from the first, my little brother, my treasure, committed suicide five days before my 22nd birthday.

The rest is fairly basic, and then there is Mom from last year. When things start going well, something horrible or simply bad happens. I have very little trust, for good reason, even in myself.  So it's an uphill battle in sand.

Now you know more. Ah, so much work to do, it can be daunting. It tires me out. And that's all I can manage to write tonight.

Wow. I used to be able to do this like it was a news report. Apparently no longer. My stomach hurts now and I'm feeling very emotional. Such a major change for me, and I think this is supposed to be a good one. Wish it felt good.

5 comments:

  1. It IS a good change, even through the pain, because you are feeling it and processing it and mourning it all. In ways you never did before, or rather, in ways you were never ALLOWED to before. Keep going forward, it really does get better. And you are doing great!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why doesn't doing great FEEL great? (Whine, whine, whine.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes we have to feel the emotions in order to acknowledge them - then, once they've been acknowledged, we can lay them down and move on. So maybe this is your "getting ready to move on" feeling now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BFB: That's a lot of what Trauma Therapy is about. It's working well ... when I do my homework. Tonight it just got out of hand. Hope I can write some of it up for tomorrow's session.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In light of Dan's story on Julie's blog... the pain should be a good sign. :-S bleh!

    My extended family is all in Alberta, which we moved away from because my dad was a pilot. His eldest sister was married to a shit, and their daughters were molested by a couple different family members. She later dated a man who abused her. She's been single mostly since then, doesn't trust men, pretty cynical person. But I admire her a lot.

    So I've certainly seen misery crowd its way into one family, or the life of one person. I'm sorry you are one of those people this has happened to. >:-(

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think.