Monday, June 20, 2011

Baby Steps? Maybe for a Baby Bird!


Sunday:
Tiny, little, eensy baby steps. I did wash my dishes from my meals (but not from my evening snack yet). I did two smaller tasks and one load of laundry, but haven't approached my therapy homework or the two projects I have to do for other people. I did the easy stuff, basically. But I did something.

I still didn't leave the apartment. I did not do any exercise inside. And I have not picked up around the place. Still, I did something.

I tend to have overly high expectations for myself, making disappointment almost a given. The only way to avoid disappointment is to refrain from expectations. That is one of the things I am working toward.

Update: I did do my therapy homework, but that was it for the evening. No dishes.

Monday:
Today was therapy, and we discussed my plans. Karen believes that setting up the basic living habits — getting up, showering and getting dressed, and leaving the apartment, even to pick up my mail, which I should do daily — are fundamental. The extent to which a person lacks the basic living habits shows the extent of a person's depression. Guess where I am. So we agreed that getting those basic habits, plus adding a minor thing to work toward healthy eating habits (a fruit and a vegetable a day; or maybe it was a fruit or a vegetable a day — I'll do what I can without over stressing about it), is essential. These things will form the foundation on which to begin rebuilding my life skills, and, my life.

Today I went to therapy, went for a walk, went to the grocery store, filled the car with gas (when it was almost out), picked up some not-excessively unhealthy fast food, and that ended the productive portion of my day. I then watched movies on my laptop for the rest of the afternoon and evening.

Tomorrow, I begin doing the basics. I'll keep track and post.

As for therapy: I did my homework, we went over it, and I cried. Not as cathartic as previously, but it was a shorter piece and it was a less-emotional piece. I think that the real catharsis and "emptying" occurs when the emotional content is higher, and the trauma greater.

Not a thrilling post. Just one of those daily kind. I expect there will be a lot of those, as I begin my new Self-Rebuilding procedure.

4 comments:

  1. A step forward is a step foward, baby style, bird type, growing-as-a-person... whatever. Forward counts!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re the "thrilling" aspect: Your posts need not contain a tap dance routine in order for me to want to read them. I want to read whatever you want to write.

    Congratulations on taking sooo many steps that day.

    I've been depressed this week. I believe emptying and filling the dishwasher was my major accomplishment. Oh and changing into a different set of pajamas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mabel: I hope you get better soon. at least you did two somethings. Even just changing into a new set of pjs can help with the mood thing. At least it's change. Good vibes, girl.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think.