Monday, April 11, 2011

Big love, bright life

Today I was drenched in prayers and good wishes from many friends in my extended community and now I feel light and shiny. 

How different from just a day or two ago!

I still have my depression and anxiety, but today I am feeling noticeably lifted above them. It feels good. Between good therapy and an amazing response from these friends, yes, it's a good day. This good day feeling directly recalls yesterday's post about the feel-good brain chemicals produced in women's conversations.

Along with the light and shiny feelings comes exhaustion. I conjecture this exhaustion comes from the emotional outpouring I made, and the emotional inpouring I received. How amazing the power that can be transmitted via email and cell phone!

One message that friends told me and told me was that Depression Lies.This message aligns with what Karen and I discussed in our session today. She said that whether or not I have some social developmental problem doesn't matter. The fact that I believe I do makes me act as if I do: I feel awkward in social situations, I don't know how to make small talk, I feel clueless and am tense, sure that I'll say or do something foolish or stupid (and in the past, I often have). Belief can create reality. (Julie, no crowing!)

Thus, I have another task, trying to change my belief and hoping it changes my behavior and thinking. I'll put it on the list.

I'll leave off some of the other things we talked about in today's session, because I don't want to bring down the tone of this post. 

I feel good. I feel a remembrance of when I was an optimist and rather bouncy. I can't wait until I get my new med — it may take me back to that place where I feel confident and calm. I'll hold onto today's light and shiny feeling for as long as I can, and I'll come back to this post to remind myself, when the dark days come, as they will do as I continue my therapeutic journey.

Thank you, my friends, for everything.

Signed,
Tinkerbell

3 comments:

  1. I would never crow... um, okay... maybe I would. But today I am just going to join in the happy dance. Good days DO happen, and I DO believe, I do I do I do.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm back! Sorry I missed a day--finishing damned CV before a deadline. Low chance of getting the job, but at least the basic CV is done, so I can apply to others. (I need those deadlines.)

    But I'm glad to see you had a Tinkerbell day!

    I love this thing about the social awkwardness belief--I keep reminding myself of this all the time too, re my own perceived limitations.

    Happy dancing with Julie. [shimmy shimmy]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. And Julie, I knew you were going to dance.

    London Mabel: good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think.