Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Faith?

I'm not very good at faith. I have a scientific mind. However, I used to be a "true believer" type: faeries, Santa, good government, UFOs, true love, and unicorns. These two aspects do create a bit of cognitive dissonance.

Life has rather kicked the faith right out of me. When I encounter others who believe in things, whether it's a deity or true love, part of me is sure that person is deluded. The other part of me is envious. I guess that makes me Fox Mulder: I want to believe. Blind faith, however, has never suited me.

Given that information, you may be surprised to hear that I think I am feeling better. I have very limited, subjective evidence, and many adjectives: kind of, maybe, a little bit, perhaps. But I felt good after therapy the other day; I felt like myself. Actually, it was a little weird. I walked like I used to walk, long swinging steps, head held high. I felt light. There was something different physically. (It didn't last long, but that's a different story.)

Add to that anecdotal evidence is that fact that I seem to be less depressed. I think I've gotten off the couch more today. When off the couch, I made movements that one might interpret as dancing. Just a little. Maybe. Kind of.

It's possible that I'm turning the corner, with my new therapy and my higher dosages of medication. But I have no actual proof, yet. Maybe if I believe, perhaps, I'll get better because I believe.

That would be really great because then I could stop taking the medications, right?

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this hopeful attitude! And I'm all in favor of anything that kinda, sorta starts to feel like it might be on the way to better.
    Blind faith? Difficult. Positive outlook? Much easier. Even without boatloads of evidence. Yet.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking around like... the king of the swingers? The jungle VIP? ;-)

    (I posted this for you today:)

    http://www.mabeltalk.com/2011/04/childhood-potential-still-up-for-grabs.html


    I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think.