Thursday, April 28, 2011

Drugs


My medications are not doing me much good right now. I started Abilify on Friday to give me that extra kick, but I think the only kick I got was in the face. I feel like hell: jittery, mood up then down, a slight tremor in my hand, slightly dilated eyes, and exhaustion and sleepiness. I took a four-hour nap yesterday and a four and a half hour nap today. I only napped because i suddenly Could. Not. Stay. Awake. Even when I'm not ready for a nap I just feel off.

In addition, my typing skills have deteriorated to the extent that I might do better using the two-finger method. My spelling skills are likewise effected.

I left a couple of messages for my psychiatrist but received no calls back (one email to the front desk, one voicemail to the front desk). So I called my pharmacist. She was great. She asked about what each drug was being used for and how long I'd been on it, dosages, etc. and decided I should go off the Abilify. The Pristiq may be causing the jitteriness, but possibly the Abilify is increasing that. And the dilated eyes have her stumped, the way they stumped everyone last year when my previous psychiatrist was trying to find something to handle my anxiety and social anxiety. Dilated eyes is not a typical side effect of any of my drugs, singly or in combination. It might be time to find my old MRIs to compare to the new MRI that's probably coming. Why? Well in addition to the dilated eyes, one eye is dilated more than the other.

I will call my psych again tomorrow morning. I also have to take my car in for a few things. Maybe I'll get lucky and get to talk about mental health and medication issues in the sitting room of my mechanics!

This is all the post I can manage tonight.

Good night.

3 comments:

  1. About three times in Hanna's life she has had this dialted pupil thing happen, one more so than the other. And she was never on any meds at the time (well the last time she was on birth control pills, but that seems an unlikely connection). At first it is like ACK!!! But then you can narrow it down and set the panic aside. Yes, be a horribly squeaky wheel, get in there to see that woman!
    Julie
    (On the plus side, because we know there is one, the pharmacist was helpful, good for her. Glad she was there for you.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Maybe I'll get lucky and get to talk about mental health and medication issues in the sitting room of my mechanics!" Well that'd give anyone social anxiety, lol.

    Pharmacists are often pretty cool, I must say.

    I can understand wanting to go off and restart. It would just feel confusing after awhile. Le sigh. I hope tomorrow (er today) is less twitchy. Maybe the royal wedding will wash over you in a cool wave. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feeling better now. After the therapy has gone far enough that my therapist and I agree, I'd like to drop all my drugs (slowly, of course), and then see where I need to be when the reasons for at least some of the meds have been resolved. At least I might need lower dosages. But I'll accept this for now, even though I hate it.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think.