Saturday, April 23, 2011

I hold my breath

I found out, only within the past decade, that I shared a rather odd trait with my mother: I hold my breath when I am stressed. Given how much stress I've experienced the past several years, I seem to spend much of my life suffering from oxygen deprivation.

When I'm emotionally tense — which is most of the time — my muscles are tense. All of them. It's probably the only reason I have any muscle tone at all. If I'm going to die of asphyxiation, at least my core muscles have enough structure to keep me upright until rigor mortis sets in.

I don't notice when I stop breathing; I notice when I start breathing again, or when I need to start breathing again. This goes on all day, off and on. I have no idea if it happens at night, but I wouldn't be surprised. 

When I was little, I had nightmares fairly often. Sometimes they were about monsters, but one repeated for years. Each time, I would wake up, my heart beating so hard and fast I thought I could see it against my chest. My room was dark and my covers were over my head. I was absolutely convinced that a huge black dog was sitting next to my bed, waiting for some movement, some sound, that showed I was awake. Once that happened, I knew it would pounce on me aand rip my throat out. So I would breathe as shallowly as I could and I would hold myself absolutely still. I probably didn't fall back asleep so much as pass out.

When I grew older, the big black dog changed into home invaders, but the concept was the same: any indication I was awake would result in a horrible death.

By the time I was in my mid- to late-30s those nightmares were infrequent, and I rarely have them now. But the feeling is the same: if I don't succeed in whatever I think I need to do, whether it's act like I'm asleep or make enough money to support myself, I will die a horrible death. I have to make the macabre observation that now it appears my nightmare occurs in the daylight.

I'll admit that dying doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore, now that Mom is gone, but that might simply be because I'm not staring into the eyes of Death at the moment. A horrible death, however, is still to be avoided.

It's easier to tell someone else to breathe. To tell myself to breathe, I first have to be aware that I am not doing so. Maybe I need a small looped recording, some sound chip I can wear in an earring or a necklace. Over and over will be a voice, a calm and relaxed voice, saying "Breathe, honey. Just breathe."

6 comments:

  1. You already know this, but those are purely "fear" based dreams. Something you manifest in your subconscious because you have fear. Duh. But what is interesting to me is that you don't have them as much as you used to, and as you said, you still have fear, it is just more during the daylight.
    Have you ever done any yoga? (Sorry if you told me this and it fell out of my head.) It is not something I have personal experience with (although I've WANTED to for decades), but I understand that it is one of the most calming forms of movement ever invented. The entire body/mind/soul aspect seems tailor made for your situation.
    Would Post It notes help ya think?
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know they are fear dreams. I had a lot of fear as a child: the cousin who molested me for years wasn't content with that: every chance he got he told me terrifying things, usually about things that were going to hurt ME. Hell, I remember being in my front yard with him one evening when I was on my SMALL tricycle and he was telling me about the bees in the light poles (a buzzing transformer) that were going to come out and sting me to death. He was only a few years older than me, but he was already cruel and controlling. I don't know how he got that way so young: I think he was a sociopath from day 1.

    I've done a little yoga and yes, it is good. I've been thru some fast yoga routines on hulu.com and my BFF gave me a couple of books on yoga (which I haven't used yet). Yes, yoga would be particularly good for me.

    Post it notes? Not in this mess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always had nightmares, the truly terrifying kind like you described. From the age of six until I was twenty, they were gunmen, home invaders, bad guys chasing me, sometimes monsters but usually not. Fantasy worlds have always been more soothing to me than this one. Once I had a baby, the nightmares grew to include him getting hurt, but the basic nightmares stayed the same. They are less frequent now - although I do have anxiety dreams about work and bills and school almost every night - but a couple times a month I will have a nightmare that can actually make me wake up in mid-panic attack.

    I also hold my breath and am trying to learn how to breathe deeply several times a day.

    That's a really long way to say I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found a couple songs about breathing!

    http://www.mabeltalk.com/2011/04/songs-to-help-you-breathe.html

    If you like any, you can turn them into mp3s here:

    http://www.zamzar.com/url/

    Play when in danger of passing out!!

    [Your wicked wicked cousin sociopath sounded just like my neighbor, though he didn't terrorize me. Shiver.]

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bona Fide Betty: it sucks, doesn't it, to wake up like that? Even in some homes I've had the home invasion dreams: I used to have them at my mom's all the time when I'd stay over. Until last summer, when I finally felt comfortable and at home. Listen to those songs that London Betty posted: I've been listening to them all day! You and I need to figure out how to breathe: we can be the air support group!

    @London Mabel: thank you very much for that music. I have been enjoying it all day, plus I sent the links to a couple of friends. As for my sociopathic cousin, the only thing that kept him from being worse than he was is that he was not very intelligent. He continued to find ways to make my life miserable until he joined the marines at 18. He married a 15 year old girl (I knew here ... they were made for each other). Apparently he beat her. She cheated on him with his best friend AND WROTE HIM ABOUT IT while he was on a ship somewhere. Cooking: that was all he could qualify for in the Marines, as a cook on a ship. Thank god he was an idiot and I'm bright.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scary that he got in at all. The universe finally let up that one time.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think.